Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Gluten Free Flour That Tastes Like The Real Thing?

As a celiac, I now find myself questioning everything I eat.  Bread for toast and sandwiches, as well as rolls, have been the hardest thing to give up (I was huge on Pillsbury products).  I've tried buying that expensive gluten free bread from the grocery, but just don't feel the taste was there (it only worked as toast and molded quickly).  

I've also tried making my own rolls from some gluten free flour, but that required buying expensive flour and xanthan gum to hold it all together.  Again, the taste just wasn't the same, but it was better than the bread (I had to adapt the recipe a bit to make it so).  What's a celiac to do when they're used to 'normal' bread products, cakes and things?

Well, I came across a different brand of gluten free flour.  It claims to taste exactly like Gold Medal and measure 1:1 in a recipe.  I went to Jule's Gluten Free to see it for myself.  The website says she's created the first (patent is pending) gluten free flour that's exactly like the regular stuff. After my experiementing, I was actually impressed by all the great press she's gotten, one of which was the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

It's expensive compared to regular flour, yes (they all are), but there is also a sample package available to try it out.  $10 gets you enough flour to bake a loaf of bread and a bread e-cookbook.  So, I'm going to order some and give it a try.  After I've done so, I'll post a review here.  If it's everything that's advertised, it'll become my usual flour and I'll bake my own breads, cakes, brownies, etc.  

Just because someone is a celiac doesn't mean they have to give up all their favorite treats!  It's just a matter of tweaking recipes and finding the ingredients they can stomach (literally).

No comments:

Post a Comment